Saturday, June 11, 2005

Addendem by Andy

Colleen has very ably expressed most of my own feelings.

I think she'll agree even the trip itself was God's will. I'm not sure what purpose we accomplished but we need to trust God is in control even if things didn't work out at all how we expected.

Right now I need time to relax and reflect.

I'd like to post a couple of general observations while they're still fresh.

The NAC Director was very helpful and concerned. I appreciate their efforts. Please note that, as far as I can see, our Ukrainian adoption options are exhausted and I've got nothing to gain from saying this. While they may seem to be somewhat disconnected from the world and I don't understand why certain procedures are as they are, they're faced with an incredible task of trying to find families for so many children. They have a tremendous heart for these children, something which we should appreciate.

The same can be said for the rest, especially Svetta's caregiver. While I agree she did not act in Svetta's best interest, I think SHE believed she was.

I think the one single change I'd recommend from my own experiences is if the "no pre-selection" rule was dispensed with. By this I mean, it would be much easier if we were able to select an orphanage and obtain a referral to visit the orphanage, then inquire about the children who we bond with.

Colleen says this would be a disaster and would be certain to cause feelings of rejection among the children. I agree it would not be perfect, but the current system also causes feelings of rejection (I could cite a number of cases including Svetta's). If possible it might be better if hopeful parents could observe the children without their knowledge, but this would require a degree of sophistication beyond what these orphanages can do. The money would be better spent on food and clothing.

Other notes:

Internet access at the train station in Kiev is super cheap. I'm talking about 1.5 hrievna (spelling?) for an hour. Thats about 30 cents an hour. In Odessa one cafe charged 2 an hour or about 40 cents. Don't know what other places charge but you shouldn't have to pay a lot anywhere in Ukraine.

Prices follow prosperity. Sure this may be obvious to you but I'm just catching on. Kiev is an impressive combination of old and new. It's the most prosperous city in Ukraine I saw. It's also the most expensive. Still cheap by our standards in most cases.

Travel light...very light. We learned this the hard way. By light I'd say take ONLY what you REALLY need. Once you decided on what you need. Take another look and see if you can't cut that in half. If I was to go again, I'd pack one bag for the two of us and one for the boys. Colleen and I would take just one light carry-on each. (I'd also bring one bag each stuffed with clothes for the Ukrainian kids - the bag would be something I'd leave behind also. No news for the well-traveled but I wish I'd taken this to heart.

Expect to be inconvenienced in smaller regions. The last town we were in was somewhat remote...and lacking in what we were used to in the cities. We had to stay in a hotel as there simply were no apartments. There was only one taxi company in town and the line was always busy. Stuff like that.

Buy a used cell phone there that takes prepaid sim cards. Don't mess around with anything else. You should be able to pick up a used phone for under $50. Sim cards are pretty cheap (you put the card in the phone and you have so many minutes of call time.) Incoming calls are free. Service is good. You can call the states by dialing the number you want to reach (ok you may have change a thing or two but it's much easier than trying to access a calling card.)

If you're alone and unsure whether you've paid to much for something, don't try to negotiate. Simply stand there and look at your change. Most will think you're on to them and will cough up the rest directly. By the way, you DO need to count your change I given too much change at least once.

That's all for now.

God bless,

Andy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home